Margaritaville

Margaritaville

Friday, February 8, 2008

What I really wanted to say to Chris Matthews

BocaGuy: Chris you are getting on my nerves. You are the "Tweeny Bird" of the journalists.

The "Hardball" host wanted to know how a feminist like me could support someone other than Hillary Clinton. Well, here's how.

Kate Michelman
salon.com
Feb. 8, 2008

As the red light atop the camera went dark on Monday night, there was still much more I wanted to say to Chris Matthews, much more that I needed to say.

So for the moment, my time on "Hardball" continues here.

Knowing that I had just announced my support for Barack Obama for president after having earlier supported my old friend John Edwards, Matthews had me on his show Monday. His first Hardball to me was one of his typical zingers: "Kate Michelman, how does it feel to have abandoned the cause of your life?"

The simple answer, Chris, is that I haven't -- in fact, my endorsement of Barack, just like my earlier embrace of John Edwards, is all about exalting the causes of my life. Not about repudiating them.

I haven't abandoned my commitment to the women's movement -- and anyone who knows me understands I never will. My endorsement of Barack Obama is actually a celebration of that commitment, and an honest reflection of what I have been fighting for for over 40 years.

The women's movement is about free choice, self-determination and challenging a status quo that fails a lot of Americans, not just women. And it is not about going along. It's about transcending, about having the freedom to follow one's heart, about creating and pursuing new opportunities, and about the American dream being for all Americans. ... ( more )

Copyright ©2008 Salon Media Group, Inc.

No comments: