Margaritaville

Margaritaville

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Your Turn: Annie Leibovitz Turns Tina Fey Into New American Sweetheart ... Or So She Exclaims

BAGnewsNotes
December 2, 2008

"Annie's going to photograph my soul, right?"

As perhaps the biggest star (after Obama) to emerge out of Campaign '08, I'm curious about your take on the new Tina FeyVanity Fair cover. (I'm sure VF was thrilled to have her, by the way, after telegraphing -- through a sour grapes set of parody covers -- how they missed the boat with Barack.)

The scene is photographed by Annie Leibovitz, known for her commercial mastery in playing to and with the intersection of politics and entertainment. Besides my interest in just about every element on the page, I'm curious -- just like Annie's VogueLaBron James cover was born out of a World War I propaganda poster -- what the historical references and implications of this image are.

And then, what's with that quote, and the situation of Tina between AL and Maureen Dowd? And exactly where is that flag planted?

What Tina Wants (VF Modo Cover Story)

(image: Annie Leibovitz. Vanity Fair. January 2009)

Copyright 2008 BAGnewsNotes

No comments: